12.05.2009

false hope?

"Don't attach yourself to anyone who shows you the least bit of attention because you're lonely. Loneliness is the human condition. No one is ever going to fill that space. The best you can do is know yourself... know what you want."

I heard this years ago in the film, White Oleander and to this day it has stuck with me. I was dumbfounded to find that someone had to think this up and put it in a script. It's such a bull shit line. Loneliness is definitely not the human condition. I was brought into this world straight into a caregiver's hands, with my father looking down at me as God created another fucking miracle. I was enveloped in a hospital blanket and placed gently into my mother's arms. If that isn't the complete opposite of loneliness, I don't know what is. If life is truly against someone, it's simple and easy for someone to become lonely. I've faced it and I've lived it...I still live with it. It comes and goes in little doses, but for the most part I try to tell myself to never let it get the best of me. What I want out of life is to know when something or someone is challenging me and my character and to overcome any pitfall with triumph and willingness. So, maybe attaching yourself to someone out of your own pity or loneliness isn't a wise thing to do, but I know damn well that loneliness is NOT the human condition. Or at least, it's a sad thing to know that someone in this small world believes that it is. Truth be told, words are just words and perhaps this isn't what the writer meant to symbolize- but it's what I took from it. All I'm ever really sure of is that it's up me, myself and I to create the life i hope for and that dreaming keeps me alive.

No comments: